Clarkstown Police report a sixth home has been burglarized. The latest break-in reported on Tuesday was of a house on Ellen Street in Nanuet near the border of New City. As with the other reported break-ins throughout Nanuet and New City, the house is located on a side street near a main street and in this incident, close to West Clarkstown Road.
The New City break-ins occurred on Fenner Lane off South Middletown Road, Wilton Circle off Calvary Drive and Lafayette Drive off Brewery Road. A home on South Middletown Road and one on Rinne Road off North Middletown Road in Nanuet were also burglarized.
Sgt. Jo Anne Fratianni said most of the break-ins have been through a rear window or door and some type of force was used. She said an undetermined amount of jewelry and cash have been stolen from the homes. Police are not disclosing the contents of the safe taken from the home on Lafayette except to say it did not contain a gun.
Police think the break-ins may be connected because so many have taken place in one week.
“It’s still an open investigation and they’re looking for leads for suspects,” said Fratianni.
Police issued reminders to residents on how to keep their homes safe.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Never leave the house and property completely dark.
- Place interior lights on timers and install exterior security lights.
- Activate burglar alarms when leaving.
- Trim hedges or bushes so doors and windows can be clearly seen.
- Hide valuables including cash and jewelry.
- Exterior doors should be solid and have a double dead bolt lock.
Contact police immediately if your home is burglarized. Do not touch anything and wait outside for the police to arrive.
Anyone with information about the burglaries should contact the Clarkstown Police Department at 845-639-5800 or the TIPS line at 1-877-639-6233.