.

Space Heaters Cause Pomona Fire

Pomona mobile home fire, Feb. 28, 2014. Courtesy Chris Kear
Pomona mobile home fire, Feb. 28, 2014. Courtesy Chris Kear
Space heaters in a back bedroom caused a fire in a Mount Ivy mobile home this morning, fire officials said. 

Hillcrest Fire Co. No. 1 responded at 08:01 a.m. Feb 28 to a reported mobile home fire at 33 Old Route 202A, Lot 63 in Pomona.

There was heavy smoke coming from the rear of the mobile home and no one was home. Once inside, firefighters encountered heavy smoke throughout, said Chris Kear, spokesperson and Ex-Chief.

The fire was located in a rear bedroom and extinguished in about 10 minutes. Fire damage was contained to that room and a portion of the hallway, and there was smoke damage in the rest of the home.

The cause was faulty wiring involving the use of two space heaters. The bedroom had at some point in the past been added on, Kear said.

The Town of Haverstraw Fire Inspector, Police Department and Orange & Rockland Utilities were on the scene. Hillcrest responded with four trucks and 25 firefighters. 
 

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »