Rockland County Executive C. Scott Vanderhoef announced Wednesday that the New York State STOP-DWI Foundation awarded $72,000 to the county’s STOP-DWI program for increased enforcement.
The county’s STOP-DWI Department said an especially visible law enforcement presence will start on Saturday, Oct. 26 and run through Halloween, Wednesday, Oct. 31 and resume on other holidays and major sporting events.
“These funds will enable multiple law enforcement jurisdictions to
have a highly visible presence with the goal of reducing the number of
alcohol-related fatalities,” said Vanderhoef.
Additional DWI enforcement will be in place during the:
- Holiday Season from December 12 through January 1, 2013
- Super Bowl Weekend from February 1 through February 4
- St. Patrick’s Day Weekend from March 15 through March 18
- Memorial Day Weekend from May 23 through May 28
- Fourth of July Weekend from July 3 through July 8
- Labor Day Weekend from August 16 through September 2
According to the county executive's office there will also be an increased presence of law enforcement on the roadways during the Thanksgiving Holiday but it will not be funded by the state grant.