Basketball teams from all over Rockland met at Albertus Magnus High School in a full day of fun at the Rockland County CYO Basketball Championships on Saturday.
There were 10 age groups and eight Catholic schools represented. The schools faced off trying to secure the championship in their respective age groups.
“I’ve been doing this for five years with Mr. Collins and it is definitely one of my favorite days of the year,” said Tom McGrath, who helped oversee the games. “Whoever wins today goes on to play in the next stage on the way to the state championships.”
“The day went well, all the kids and parents had a good time,” said Director of Rockland County CYO Tom Collins. “It’s a great day for CYO basketball and all those involved.”
Saturday’s winners go on to play in Ulster next weekend in the Up-State Semifinals. The teams who win there will return the following weekend to play in the Up-State Finals. The winners of the Up-State Finals go on to play for the Archdiocese Championship the weekend of the 26.
“I was really proud of our kids today,” said St. Pauls Small Fry Coach Reuben Roman. “They lost in overtime in the finals last year. The kids worked really hard and did a great job.”
There is still more for the fourth–eighth graders, who won on Saturday, to play for, but they are surely going home with smiles this weekend.
- Bantams – St. Catherine White 11 – 24 St. Gregory
- Gidgets – St. Peter 18 – 10 St. Margaret
- Small Frys - St. Francis 25 – 31 St. Paul
- Cadettes – St. Gregors 27 – 38 St. Paul
- Tyro – St. Augustine 38 – 31 St. Paul
- Debs – St. Margaret 20 – 35 St. Gergory
- J.V. Boys – St. Peter 28 – 32 St. Margarets
- Varsity Girls – St. Anthony 42 – 35 St. Pauls (OT)
- J.V. Girls – St. Anthony 22 – 44 St. Augustine
- Varsity Boys – St. Augustine 34 – 24 St. Paul