The athletic directors from Rockland County's 11 high schools each nominate a male and female athlete for the fall, winter and spring seasons each year and the committee selects the best male and female athlete for each season. All 66 nominees are invited to the annual awards breakfast in Juneat the Pearl River Elks Club.
The Rockland County Sports Hall of Fame Committee, Rockland County Sports Coaches Association and Crown Trophy of Pearl River sponsor the awards, given three times a year for over 30 years.
The selection committee is made up of retired Suffern AD Bob Buono, retired Albertus Magnus and Pearl River AD Tom Collins, retired Nanuet football and wrestling coach Rich Conklin, retired Pearl River AD Tom Doherty, Commissioner of Rockland County Officials Jimmy Kane and former Nanuet AD Judy Slutsky.
Cook ran a Section 1 record time of 15:45.2 to become the first runner from Rockland County to win a Federation cross country championship at Bowdoin Park in Wappinger Falls. The time was the ninth best ever at Bowdoin Park. Cook also won individual Section 1 Class B, Rockland County and league championships and helped the Pirates win a league championship. He is undecided on a college.
Robinson earned first-team all-state Class AA honors as a goalkeeeper. She was named Section 1 Player of the Year, earning fits-team all-county, all-section and all-league honors. She had 16 shutouts, leading North Rockland to a 21-1-1 record, the only defeat a 2-1 decision in the state championship game. She helped North Rockland win league, Section 1 and regional state championships. She will attend Stony Brook in the fall.
The nominees broken down by school are:
- Albertus Magnus: Corey Jean-Charles (football) and Mallary McFadden (volleyball)
- Clarkstown North: Josh Dinkins (football) and Kiana Whitney (volleyball)
- Clarkstown South: Eric Margolis, Jr. (football) and Laura Rolston (soccer)
- Nanuet: Kyle Chesterman (cross country) and MaryKate O'Meara (cross country)
- North Rockland: Chris Aherne (soccer) and Shannon Robinson (soccer)
- Nyack: Jordan Mews (football) and Taylor O'Sullivan (field hockey)
- Pearl River: Brian Cook (cross country) and Kelly Hayes (cross country)
- Ramapo: Muti Alim (football) and Deja Tingling (soccer)
- Spring Valley: Karlyn Simon (soccer) and Na'jee Rosene (cheerleading)
- Suffern: Tom Sharp (volleyball) and Rachel Ollis (tennis)
- Tappan Zee: Giuseppe Maddalena (football) and Erin Jaskot (cross country)