Nyack sophomore broke a 22-year-old section record as she won the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 1:04.32 at the Section 1 swimming championships Saturday at Felix Festa Middle School in West Nyack.
Full meet results can be found on the Section 1 swimming website here.
Horace Greeley edged Ursuline for the section championship, 312 points to 311. Tappan Zee was the top team from Rockland County in sixth place with Suffern 8th, Pearl River 9th and Clarkstown 10th (athletes from Clarkstown North and Clarkstown South compete as one combined team in swimming). Nyack was 13th.
Among other notable finishes by Rockland County swimmers:
- Senior Theresa McKallen led the way for Pearl River, finishing third in the 200 IM in a time of 2:11.80 and fourth in the 100 breaststroke in 1:08.45. She also teamed with Taylor Hodges, Megan Conway and Kaitlyn Lange to take sixth place in the 200 medley relay.
- Lange also took fifth in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:00.86.
- Ciavarella led the way in a strong Rockland showing in the 100 breaststroke, with Tappan Zee's Taylor Lawson finishing third in 1:07.95. Teammate Alison McNamara took fourth in the 200 freestyle and teamed with Amy Zhang, Lene Sansone and Alix Fischer for a sixth-place finish in the 200 freestyle relay.
- Clarkstown's Lauren Sweet finished second in the 50 freestyle with a time of 25.01. Her teammate, Meaghan McGovern, took third in the 500 freestyle in 5:09.26.
- McGovern and Sweet joined Shannon Farrell and Camryn Jung on a 400 freestyle relay team that finished fifth.